A Place-based Approach to Migrant Integration
Final Conference of the JRC ERA "International Migrants in Functional Urban Areas"09 December 2021
Date and time
The conference presents results of the Joint Research Centre (JRC) Exploratory Research Activity (ERA) “International migrants in functional urban areas. How can strategies of sustainable urban development foster the integration of migrants?”.
The study explores the dynamics of the relationship between migrant integration and local territories. The hypothesis of the study was that place-based policy aimed at a balanced development of the territory can promote migrants’ integration indirectly.
The objective of the study was to understand if strategies of urban development supported by the EU Cohesion Policy and focusing on functional urban areas address, explicitly or implicitly, migrants and can foster migrant integration.
The study applied a pan- European Union perspective with in-depth analyses of case studies from Athens, Liège, Malmö, Paris and Venice.
The conference addresses in particular representatives of the European Commission, universities and research institutes, urban and regional authorities.
More in general, it addresses all policymakers, researchers and practitioners with an interest in the integration of migrants at local level, sustainable urban development and the EU Cohesion Policy.
The conference will offer:
- The presentation of the JRC report: “A place-based approach to migrant integration. Strategies of sustainable urban development and the integration of migrants in functional urban areas”.
- A discussion with representatives of the European Commission on measures and funding supporting migrants’ integration at local level.
- Insights into integrated urban strategies from Athens, Liège, Malmö, Paris and Venice and how these directly and indirectly support the inclusion of migrants.
10:00 – 10:15 CET (09:00-09:15 GMT)
Moderator: Carlotta Fioretti, Joint Research Centre
- Alessandro Rainoldi, Head of Unit, Urban and Territorial Development, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- Dario Tarchi, Acting Head of Unit, Demography, Migration and Governance, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- Sandrine Labory, Director RSA Europe and Associate Professor, University of Ferrara - An Introduction to RSA Europe
10:15 – 11:00 CET (09:15-10:00) GMT)
Moderator: Paola Proietti, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- Carlotta Fioretti, Joint Research Centre, European Commission - A Place-based Approach to Migrant Integration
- Otilia Ciobanu, DG Regio, European Commission - European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) Support for the Integration of People with a Migrant Background
- Grzegorz Gajewski DG Home, European Commission - Integration of Migrants: Creating Sustainable Dynamics and Impacts
11:00 – 11:40 CET (10:00-10:40 GMT)
Discussant: Laura Colini, Tesserae Urban Social Research, URBACT/UIA
- Paola Briata, Polytechnic University of Milan
- Marco Cremaschi, Sciences Po Paris
- Nikos Karadimitriou, University College London
- Jérémy Mandin, University of Liège
- Erica Righard, Malmö University
11:40-11:45 CET (10:40-10:45 GMT)
Carlotta Fioretti, Joint Research Centre
Mikel Landabaso, Director of Growth and Innovation, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
The event is organised by the JRC in partnership with RSA Europe.